Pages

Monday, February 07, 2011

Disappointed in the NIV

Just a quick note. I just finished reading a skeptical (and excellent, in my personal opinion) book, "Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary" by Kenneth Daniels (//link) (sorry, I do not have a page number because I read the Kindle edition and do not know how to determine it). I was alarmed to find that the NIV, which I like, apparently translates Ezekiel 20:25 (//link) incorrectly, compared to the KJV, NASB, and others. The new 2010 NIV has this verse correctly translated, apparently (//link), and I would very much like to get this version in leather-bound. I am disappointed with the 1984 NIV somewhat over this issue, so I will probably focus my efforts on the NASB or ESV, which I prefer over the KJV personally. I'm still happy that the NIV is more popular than the KJV, because even though it's a good translation, I hate reading in it and from it. Seriously, people, it's time to move on.

4 comments:

Byron said...

On the Kindle it is around location 4220 out of 6348 (67%) if anyone wishes to verify.

Byron said...

Even though I prefer the NIV over the KJV, it is inferior to the KJV in its translation of Ezekiel 20:25 according to my cite reference, which I just found online. You can read this for yourself in the first part of Chapter 12 under the subtitle "Unity" at //link or at //link

cerbaz said...

Ken Daniel's book is what was the final straw for me in giving up my belief in the christian god.

Byron said...

Ken Daniel's book is excellent. Hopefully more Christians will read it. Then perhaps we'll have more ex-Christians. ;)