Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Spontaneous Clusterf--k Syndrome

You know that event when let's say you are parked somewhere at a store, mostly distracted by the events of the day and the shopping you have just accomplished, and are looking forward to just going home and relaxing, when suddenly right before you decide to pull out of your parking space to back up, the driver of another car for some mysterious reason decides to place his or her vehicle directly in your path blocking any action on your part? And, perhaps even another car gets involved trying to find another parking space close to yours? And all you can think about is what a difference 30 seconds would have made in that situation, either give or take?

Or what about when you are at the grocery store, and you finally remember you simply MUST have one or two items which only exist on Aisle 8, which has been empty for the entire time you have spent in the store, and which you have passed numerous times, only to return and have to fight your way through a maze of four or five haphazardly placed shopping carts, kids, and even grown-up adults who magically appear to form an obstacle course specially constructed to try the human soul?

Or perhaps when you are in traffic, and need to carefully maneuver your way to your destination and suddenly a two to three second window of opportunity appears only to vanish with frightening speed leaving you feeling frustrated and perhaps even mocked for your efforts? Added to this perhaps even you may have another driver blast a car horn in your direction for something not your fault and entirely out of your control?

Well, I have a phrase for that now. It's called Spontaneous Clusterf--k Syndrome (censored for the sake of politeness), and I have it a lot recently.  I have not so much developed a saintly patience as learned how to meditate and analyze the actions and motives for possible road rage or other social rudeness, which we have way too much of in this world as it is. But at least I have a nifty term for it now.

8 comments:

Thy Peace said...

Off Topic:

Byroniac, hello. You remember me from Wade's blog. I am sorry to hear you say that you are not a Christian at present.

There is LOT of freedom in Christ. I still consider you a brother in Christ.

I would gently encourage you to listen to two of Pastor Wade Burleson sermons:

1. His recent sermon at Emmanuel - Enid, titled "Your Year of Jubilee".

2. His sermon from 2003 January: Series on "Romans: The Integrity of God" > #46. The Law Couldn't . . . But God Did (Romans 8:2-4).

God bless you Byroniac, brother in Christ.

Byron said...

Thy Peace, thank you for your very kind words. I am in the darkest place spiritually I have ever been in my life so far. My faith has not survived the onslaught, but God, if He exists, can certainly deliver me if He chooses. I have to seriously consider that these new changes of perspective are permanent. However, I still enjoy theology (such as James White and R.C. Sproul) and I always did like Wade Burleson. I look forward to hearing those sermons. Thanks again.

Keith said...

Hey,

I am a recently de-converted Christian myself (about the beginning of this year). I found you commenting on the "Debunking Christianity" site. I find John Loftus many times over the top and intellectually sloppy with a lot of his arguments. However, I like to see what he has up from time to time. Just thought I would comment as it is super difficult to meet people with our world view (they are mostly sporadic).

Byron said...

Thanks, Keith. I appreciate it. You're welcome to come back. I hope to post more often, but to be honest, I don't plan to post on religion nearly as much as computer-related stuff. But we'll see.

Byron said...

Keith, just out of curiosity, why do you feel that Loftus is sloppy with his arguments? I have to confess up front, I have not kept up with all of his posts lately. But I did read both of us books and greatly appreciated them (well, not at first, hehe).

Keith said...

I bought both of Loftus' books this summer (after I had already de-converted) and it just seems a lot of what he argues against are either "strawmen" or merely "emotional". My whole start to looking into issues of religion while I was still a Christian was to try and understand what the other side was saying. I eventually decided the other side made sense, but because of the way I went to the other side (really listening to what they are saying) then I still hold myself to that standard when trying to listen to the other side. I like to read what Loftus posts, but there are much better arguments I find out there (commonsenseatheism.com is a much better site I feel). I am trying to remember what it was back then what I was reading that got me deconverted. I think it was mostly thinking about the image of God and how it was conflicting. That, and superficial evidence for the resurrection. Understanding Evolution did have a big impact too, but I have come to realize that understanding Evolution is clearly not a good reason for disbelief (even if there are some atheists and Christian fundamentalists who claim it so). One thing off the top of my head that Loftus says is that God could change make him change his mind. This is clearly a strawman, since Christians believe in free-will. While I clearly believe that the concept of free will is logically invalid it does no good furthering a discussion with believers by just stating that "why doesn't God just change my mind?"... I like to have the best reasons for disbelief, Loftus doesn't seem to have them, IMHO.

Byron said...

Perhaps that is a strawmen for Christians who believe in free-will, but I was one of those Christians who did not, being a Calvinist, at least when it came to matters of salvation.

Keith said...

Ah, I gottchya. It's so hard not to tear down strawmen when there are so many versions of "true" Christianity! Haha!