Pages

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Fractalicious

http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.php?itemid=2744

I love fractals. I'm not sure why; perhaps I have a mathematician gene or two without my knowledge comfortably tucked away in my DNA. But I have loved fractals since the first day I learned of them. I am fascinated that the "ugly" (not really, but it has always been my mistaken first impression) science of mathematics can produce beauty, even art. But I look at fractals and think, "math did THIS?" The conclusion for me is inescapable.

Mathematics is beautiful. And I know precious little of it. But I am convinced that mathematics shows us a glimpse of the infinite mind of God and the beauty of reason, as far as finite beings such as ourselves can understand.

I cannot help but wonder what deeper discoveries in mathematics await us, which God so far has hidden.

No comments: