Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Two Gripes

Two gripes about FreeBSD so far.

Full Disclosure: I'm running FreeBSD 7 under VirtualBox 1.6.0 (recently rebranded under Sun).

1. It runs DOG slow in Gnome (technical term, indicating an overall qualitative analysis rather than an actual quantitative measurement; in the common vernacular, this could be termed "slower than molasses" etc).

2. No sound. No clue why. I'm guessing the VirtualBox emulated hardware is not fully supported by FreeBSD. I might drop back to 6.3 and see if that's better.

I always did like FreeBSD (well, when it works, that is).

EDIT: Changed "X-Windows" to "Gnome" for accuracy. I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but running plain X via "startx" is fast enough, but running the Gnome Window Manager on top of X-Windows via "gdm" is like, painfully slow.

1 comment:

Byroniac said...

OK, time to clarify. I am NOT griping about FreeBSD per se. I was griping about VirtualBox's support for FreeBSD. However, I realize my attitude is wrong and apologize. I am grateful for VirtualBox supporting FreeBSD at all. My gripe was simply taking the form of venting after a frustrating installation process (due to my own fault). Kudos!